COMPLETE SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION GUIDE Strategies For Beginners
In this section Real-Tips aim to provide a basic overview on what you need in your website to feature highly in search engines. It’s not the Top Ten Website Optimization Tips but rather the most comprehensive helpful SEO advice you will find anywhere in the world. Most of these are Basic Optimization Tips but they are also the “Best Optimization Tips” because they are all fundamental to creating a highly ranked great website within Google and other search engines. So if you have not got these key SEO areas or the SEO basics covered you will struggle from the start. I shall list these SEO areas and add a weight or liking to each SEO factor, that Google seems to give each criteria or area I advise upon. But remember this is cumulative, just because you can’t achieve everything in the list below it does not mean you will not feature highly, as the other websites you are competing against in Google, might not be able to achieve all these as well! And not forgetting you must have your keywords right in terms of density (which is not always 4%) but also links – Internal Links, Inbound Links and Outbound Links
TOP SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION TIPS
IS AN OLDER DOMAIN NAME BETTER? HOW OLD?
1. Age of Domain and Longevity – SEO Impact Medium
Always register your domain for as long as possible, this shows google that you are serious and the website will not be just a flash in the pan. Also if you have chosen a good domain name it is in your interest to keep this as long as possible. Google will always give websites that are older a little more weight as they will have hopefully built up a page ranking over time if they are good.
Using or purchasing an old domain name is only a good idea if it has actually been used. And has had some form of a website on it?
You can use these free tools to check page rank and domain age.
Additionally you know need to be aware of any black hat / bad linking that has possibly affected the domain names usability.
HOW DO I SPEED UP MY WEBSITE?
2. Speed of Website- SEO Impact Low
Google prefers fast websites. To get a fast website it needs to be written in the good code, the newer the better, have very few coding errors and the content needs to be streamlined. Some things that will slow your website down are:
- Incorrect code errors or warnings
- Old code
- Inline styles
- Large image files
- Too many large images
- Too many CSS Files
- Don’t use Flash
- Don’t use Frames
- Do not use too many or try not to use any Nested Tables
DO I HAVE TO USE GOOGLE?
Will Google help my website?
3. Use of Google Website Tools – SEO Impact Medium
Yep to feature highly in Google you need to be using Google tools! Some of the Google tools you should be using and that will help your website, in no particular order are:
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster
- Google Email Addresses
- Google Places
- Google Plus +
- Google Checkout
Optional additions are Google Adwords & Adsense ,these also seem to help!
A GOOD WEBSITE STRUCTURE
What is a good website Structure?
4. Website Basics – SEO Impact Medium to High
These are basic things your website needs in terms of structure and content. You really need to have all these bases covered:
- 404 Page – A page that if links are broken or page is moved visitors will be redirected to, also means you will not lose visitors.
- Underscores – Do not use underscores in your URLs use hyphens instead.
- Blog – Add a blog page google likes visitors to be able to interact with the website and additional content always helps, plus this gives you the opportunity to blog News Items, New Products and Events, Etc
- Sitemap – A sitemap.xml that lists all of your pages within your website.
- Robot.txt file – this tells google or other search engines how to treat pages within your website.
- Title – Meta Title – No More than 70 characters, you really should try to use as many characters as possible, but choose less if you have a long URL or page title
- Website Description – Meta description should be about 155 Characters again use all of these and ensure this contains all of your keywords for your website or for that particular page.
- Header Tags – H1 to H6, Have no more than 1 x H1 title tags per page ideally just one but you can play around with this to see what works. I’ve seen websites rank highly with none and only utilising H2 Tags. Header tags should contain your most important keywords. and try not to repeat these within the page.
- Images – Always Title you images with what they are, bearing in mind your websites keywords, add where possible description tags too and always add alt tags again using your websites keywords
- Content – Content is key, always use images with your text and write new and fresh content, I get approached by people who are having problems optimizing their website and they have only about 50-60 words on each page. And quite often they forget to use the keywords that people will use to find their website. Also make sure you do not have spelling mistakes as this will put some people off. Each Page needs to contain at least 200 words, See text to HTML ratio below
- Other Content – Make the website useful, add a forum, blog, poll, use Videos, add files like PDFs that people can open and read for further information or content.
- Text to HTML Ratio – Should be about 20% the higher the better but you can get away with less, but be careful this does not dilute or increase your keyword ratio. SEE 10 SURE FIRE WAYS TO GET WEBSITE TRAFFIC
- Keyword to Content Ratio – some say this does not matter anymore but I think it does – basically if the text in your page does not contain your keywords then you will find it very difficult, if not impossible to rank for those particular keywords. Remember this is not only keywords individually but also how often the keywords appear together. I have been playing around with a group of 3 keywords showing at a ratio of between 7-8% and seems to be working, but is very difficult as you have to lessen the amount of times you use these words individually and then you still have to make it readable and engaging.
- Internal Link Structure – a well optimized website will have a good internal linking structure. By this the home page and sub-pages have relevant links within the page directing visitors onto further topics pages and information. Don’t rely on you footer to do all this.
- External Links -Be sure to add links to other websites and resources that you feel will enhance the visitor’s user experience. Makes sure these websites are high ranking and good websites. But only a 2 or 3 as you do not want to be directing your visitors elsewhere and too many outbound links can have the opposite effect.
WILL SOCIAL MEDIA HELP MY WEBSITE?
5. Use of Social Media with web Pages – SEO Impact Medium
Make use of Social Media links with your website with Facebook, Google +, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Blogger etc and get all your friends and family to “link in”, “like” and “share” and “tweet” your website among their social groups. Use Social Media like Google+ and Twitter to promote your website, services and products. Be sure to write some stuff and post on your different social media forums. Make sure you always include a link to your website in whatever you write about but make sure it is relevant. If you are writing about a new product or service link the text to your page that contains that info. Read More
WHAT ARE GOOD INBOUND EXTERNAL WEB LINKS?
6. Good Website Links – High SEO Impact
Yes you need inbound and outbound links. It used to be all about getting hundreds and thousands of back-links but not anymore. Google is constantly trying to make searches better and the old BLACK HAT Technique of just spamming hundreds and thousands of links into your website with your URL and Keywords no longer works. Well actually it may work initially but if Google thinks these are spam links, from link farms, from websites that are blacklisted, blocked or known to have malware then these will not work. Also if the links are from other countries such as India, America, Russia and Poland and your website is not based there they will see these as bad links. So now a few good quality links to your website seems to help far more. Good link checklist:
•Inbound Web Links – Get good quality links from highly ranked website (use Pagerank to check these for their PR Rank), use a variation or your keywords, your URL in those links. Vary using www., http//www. and /index in the URL you specify to be linked with, also use nofollow links. Again link from websites that have similar content, about the same thing in the same country or area.
- Internal Web Links – As above link to all your pages, content and keywords internally, this show Google that you are trying to help visitors within your website to find the content that they want.
- Outbound Web Links – Link to useful resources and things that will help visitors or things they may find interesting. Don’t be put of with linking to similar websites especially if you can exchange links.
- No Follow Links – I don’t like these and think they are useless, I never use no follow links in any of my web pages. Some SEO’s may disagree. Would be interesting to hear other people’s findings with regards to these types of links.
TOP KEYWORD BASIC OPTIMIZATION TIPS
The Key to achieving a Google ranking with your Keywords are to make sure that all of your Keywords feature in your web site and web pages across al the different elements, Do not try to cram in too many keywords in one web page and start trying to go off topic. The use of additional landing pages may be required to keep the keyword focus:
- Page URL
- Page Name
- Page Title
- Page Title
- Header Tags (H1-H6)
- Page Content
- Image Description
- Image Alt Tags
- Internal Page Links
- Inbound Links
- Outbound Links
- Social Media Platforms
- Contact Forms
- Email Addresses
- Website template
- CSS Files
The more you spread your keywords out across all elements the less you need to add in the text, and therefore you can be more creative and less repetitive with keywords within your site
WHAT IS THE BEST KEYWORD DENSITY
Keyword Density depends on a lot of things, between 3-4% is good.
And make sure your first sentence contains your main keywords.
What’s more, remember to mess around with catchphrase thickness in some cases toning it down would be best! See what your competitors are doing and try more or less.
Never repeat strings or keywords in titles or image title or alt tags. It can appear across all three but having 10 pictures all called the same thing won’t work! Will look like keyword stuffing.
Google likes a good mix of these, not too many too little and not all the same.
As I said above: These are the best basic website tips and if you do not have most of these in your website then you will make your job far more difficult. These are just a few of the many things you need to build a good and great website but this should get you started off on the right track.
Please feel free to comment on Real-Tips the Best Website Optimization Tips and Advice ever or please feel free to add your own great tip below. And I always save some to keep me in work.
Is duplicate content also holding your website back, what is duplicate content and how much duplication is deemed acceptable? Many WordPress themes accidentally create duplicate content.
What is a SSL Certificate and will my website benefit from having one.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT CMS
Is my content management system (CMS) holding me back with optimization and do I really need CMS.
Learn All About cPanel | Starting Your Website But First Know About Each Aspect of cPanel | This Guide Will Help You Become Pro in Running A Website or Blog